Man Who Knew Infinity

The Man Who Knew Infinity: A Life of the Genius Ramanujan - Robert Kanigel Life is a wily merchant and in his shop everything is for sale for the right price. This book convinced me that Mr. Ramanujam paid that price and gave the merchant a healthy tip while at that. How else would you explain that when you find out that he worked on mathematics in the hospital bathroom when he was hospitalized for Tuberculosis only to be later awarded an FRS for the same? None better than nod your head and say that the two gentlemen; Life and Mr. Ramanujam made a fair deal. Mr. Kanigel has been an excellent commentator of the lifestyle that is reminiscent of South India. There were times when I had caught myself nodding subconsciously. I could cite examples but his effort has been so high in developing this picture for the reader that it would be gross injustice to him if I lay it out in this review. Instead, a heartfelt BRAVO! should do as an alternative. I liked how Mr. Hardy, Neville and various other players were given due attention and space in this book for the general reader to imagine an almost exact picture that the author envisioned. Last but not the least, I believe, a rudimentary knowledge of college level applied mathematics would make this book far more enjoyable..