Eminent Historians: Their Technology, Their Line, Their Fraud

Eminent Historians: Their Technology, Their Life, Their Fraud - Arun Shourie Is our national identity flawed? and is it by design? who is to blame?These are a few fundamental questions Mr. Shourie is trying to answer in this book. I must confess, while going through the first 50 or so pages, I had almost decided that Mr. Shourie had written this book to settle a personal score with a few from some organization. How wrong I was!It is only when I almost finished the book did it dawn upon me that what Mr. Shourie had done was an immaculate display of case presentation to the reader in answering these tough questions. You see, one's notion of national identity/ nationalism ebbs from what he or she knows about his country's history, its origins, its cultural DNA. More often than not, for most of us, this education begins and ends with what our textbooks tell us in that regard unless of course you pursue history itself as a career. However, for those that prefer to venture into greener pastures seldom give thought to accuracy of the history lessons we were taught. This is where Mr. Shourie begins his attack; content of the history books of various grades in schools and other important literary works. Are our children (were we for that matter) being told the history as it was or is vote bank politics polluting historical accuracy in an effort to appease certain sections in our country? Mr. Shourie citing exhaustive amount of sources very effectively argues that it is indeed so the case. This book touches so many points that this review could alone run into various pages if I were to cite even a few to provide my opinion on them. However, I will say this that more than being a book filled with excellent case presentation, this is an important wake-up call for every serious thinker to ponder about how our Indian nationalism is molded in poor taste through systematic insertion of false positive data in our history sources and where it will all lead to. Four stars as the language is sometimes way too complicated (I had a dictionary close-by when reading this book) and makes the reading pace really difficult for the average person. P.S - I am quite apprehensive that this book may end up being marked as an "your versus me" argument around religion. It is NOT that; At least in my opinion. So, unless you can judge an argument only by its merit and not by the subjective emotions it evokes, worse yet with religious context, you are better off avoiding this book.