A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier - Ishmael Beah My colleague happened to be cleaning his cupboard when he found this book he bought when traveling abroad to keep away boredom. Not an avid reader, he couldn't get through the first few pages and gave it to me, in the hope that I would try and make something off it. I must admit, I was in an almost depressed mood for a day or two after finishing this book. That and made me count my blessings for sure. My teenage years weren't particularly fun and I have left no stone unturned in an effort to bitch about it but Mr. Beah's story left me humbled. Oh God! the hardships this kid has gone through in his life is too heart wrenching. A quick wiki search would give everyone an idea of what this book is all about. My advise, don't ignore this as another boy soldier recounting his days of hardship, it is indeed that but each page carries this gritty heaviness in every word, so much so that you will experience your throat going dry reading them. I wouldn't call it an enjoyable experience but rather a wake up call to everyone.